Sooji halwa recipe
- 1 and a 1/2 cups sooji/ Rawa
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 3/4 cup mixture of cashews (coarsely chopped ) and whole raisins/ sultanas
- 3 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup whole/ full cream milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 pods of green cardamom split open
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and allow it to melt.
- Once it has melted add the sooji and roast it to a golden brown.
- Add cashew and raisins to the sooji and roast together
- Boil milk, water, sugar, and cardamom in a separate vessel
- Then add this mixture to the sooji stirring continuously so that no lump is formed
- Once it separates from the vessel remove it
- Serve garnished with dried fruits and nuts.
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2 1/2 cups
- Ghee – 3/4 cup
- Milk – 1/4 (cow’s milk or aavin or any company)
- Cornflour -1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts -10
- Take the wheat flour and make dough with hard consistency
- Then add the dough in a vessel with 2 cups of water so that the dough fully sinks in the water
- Crush the dough so that it dissolves fully in water with a milky consistency
- Strain this solution through a juice strainer and keep the strained solution aside after adding cornflour
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and once it melts add the strained solution and cows milk but stirring continuously
- When it becomes slightly thick, (jam consistency) add sugar and mix well. Then add the rest of the ghee little by little stirring continuously.
- Your hands will pain but you have to stir continuously without stopping in a medium or low flame until the halwa starts leaving the sides of the pan. (See picture below).Then immediately pour it into a greased vessel.
- Grease the vessel on all sides then put roasted cashew nuts on the mixture in the heat it will stick to the mixture
- Allow it to cool. Once it cools, it will set a little.You will not be able to make slices, as it will be of scooping consistency.
- Serve hot or cold
Read about other dishes